Holistic Care and Education
Avocet and Turnstone House combine the very best qualities of highly specialised, integrated therapeutic care and education for children with complex behavioural, emotional, and social difficulties and associated learning needs.
We have successfully worked with vulnerable and traumatised Looked After Children with associated mental health issues, self harming and sexualised behaviours, some of whom have come to us as a ‘step down’ from secure settings.
A ‘No Limits’ Approach to A High Quality Service
We refuse to set limits around effective care and education programmes for children. Both Avocet and Turnstone House are set up to focus on the needs of the individual and take personalised learning to a new level. We believe that, regardless of past experiences every child, given the right circumstances, has the resources to move forward positively to a preferred future. And we have the results to prove it.
Aims and Objectives
The purpose of both establishments is to provide a safe, nurturing, caring, positive and protective homely environment that promotes personal growth, development and learning based on a Positive Psychology.
- To create and maintain appropriate caring boundaries for each young person that helps them make the transition from dependence to autonomy.
- To develop a Portfolio of Achievements and Needs which looks to preferred futures, enhances self esteem, develops strengths to maximise their personal potential, produces opportunities to succeed and moves the young person to an appropriate level of self-determination.
- To provide the platform for future permanence for each young person. This may be in the form of a return to their own home and family, permanent alternative placement in foster care, adoption, long term residential care elsewhere or independent living.
- To achieve the highest possible standard of achievement measured by:
- A movement from disaffection to engagement in the learning process
- Improvements in behaviour conducive to learning
- A growing enthusiasm for learning
- Specific and generalised social and emotional development
- Tangible accredited outcomes
- Emerging gifts, talents and passions
- National accreditation
- To make the curriculum fit the child not the child fit the curriculum.